Ad Banner

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mortal Kombat 2011 Review

Let me open this by stating that I am not being paid by anybody to make this post. I feel as an avid gamer and klassic Mortal Kombat fan that it is my duty to spread the word about this amazing game.  That being said, let me start off on an odd note and state all of the things that I did not like. (Yes I've played both the PS3 and Xbox version quite a bit)
  • My hands really really hurt after all of the button mashing/combo practice
  • I smashed my controller twice trying to beat story mode. (yeah it broke into two pieces...) But I managed to put it back together and it works fine.
  • The Xbox's controllers suck. The d-pad is very sloppy for combos/fatalities. (I strongly suggest buying a special fighting game controller)
  • I am horribly saddened that there are no brutalities... (Maybe DLC?!?!? plz plz plz!!!!)
  • Kratos sucks! At-least I didn't like playing as him... Hes too slow for somebody who has killed all of the gods...
  • Ed Boone still won't let the theme song for the movies be in the game... :(
Before I go on, if you are lazy and don't like to read then I strongly suggest you take my advice "BUY THIS GAME!" It is a magnificent work of art, and has quite a bit of play time. I spent about 5 hours or so on the story mode alone. And there are tons of extras I have yet to unlock. Very much worth the $60 bucks. It sucks to be Australia right now!
  • Fatalities are very over the top and well done!  All of your buddies will bow before you when you kill off their favorite characters in the bloodiest, most sickening thing to hit the ESRB since the original Mortal Kombat games!
That's about it... There isn't really anything major that I did not like about this game. 9.5 out of 10 is what I give it! I have never in my life played a fighting game that was so near perfection as Mortal Kombat is! And I usually HATE fighting games. Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur are the only fighting games I've liked. MK has a very immerse and satisfying storyline. Especially for a fighting game! It felt like I was playing the movie! It was FANTASTIC! Because the storyline is a reboot/re-imagining of the original 3 Mortal Kombat games, it is easy for new players to follow and keeps the hardcore/old-school players (who know the storyline) guessing throughout the whole game.

Most of the characters live up to their old reputations. The controls are extremely similar to the old games (for most characters). Cryax remains unchanged for the most part. Which makes me happy, because Cyrax is the shit! And he has always been my favorite! "No biased game reviews here! ;)". Some characters have been changed for the better. Smoke is an ABSOLUTE MONSTER in this game! Despite his very gay main costume... The good news is, if you don't like the way any of the characters look, you can earn alternate costumes in the Krypt.

Fatalities can be performed even if you haven't unlocked them. They will just remain undiscovered in your "moves list". If you perform them at any point in the game, then they become visible. You can unlock fatalities in the Krypt as well. Or you can just look the fatalities up online... Saves you some coins! Tag team is pretty cool as well! However, I have never been a fan of tag teaming. So its not really my cup of tea.

Now, the real question is "Should I get it for PS3 or Xbox?" It basically comes down to, "Do I want to play as Kratos, or do I want to have a better online experience?" Xbox has always had better online play. If you have lots of friends who have an Xbox, and you want to kick their ass; then Xbox is the way to go! Vice-versa, if most of ur friends are on PS3 then by all means get Kratos and whoop ass on your playstation buddies. If you just want Kratos, then let me be the first to tell you "Don't hold your breath." I don't like him at all, he is very slow. However he hits like a truck! So if you get very good at his moves then you will be victorious. Personally, I don't like slow characters... "Again, no bias here! :p" I've always felt that the Xbox offers an all around better online experience. So if you like to do multiplayer matches then get the Xbox version. (Latency usually isn't as horrible on the Xbox. Mainly because you have to pay $60 bucks a year to play on it) Keep in mind that the Xbox's controllers are horrible for fighting games! So if you want to save yourself lots of frustration, buy a controller that is similar to the PS3's. The PS3's controller is FAR superior for Mortal Kombat.

I'm done trying to convince you. I shouldn't have to. Go look-up youtube videos and you'll be convinced. Babalities are very hilarious in this game! You will be amused for many hours to come! Enjoy, and happy fatalisizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geek-Fu Online Store


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.