Ad Banner

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V Phone Review

I'll start off by saying, "Lets keep this short." I don't like to read anymore than you do, so I'll just give you the juicy parts so you can decide if this product is worth looking at more in depth by somebody who probably knows less about the world than I do, via youtube. (Good luck with that btw. All the reviews I found were from fat kids who were talking about how to turn the phone on and shit.)

So your poor like me? We have something in common!
  • Virgin Mobile is a great service if you want the cheapest unlimited data plan out there. I spend about $27 a month on this phone's service plan (after tax).
  • Be sure you check your area to see if there is adequate coverage. Since Virgin Mobile is a branch off of Sprint, they say you get to use the fastest 3G network via Sprint. Unfortunately you are a poor bastard who probably works at McDonalds, therefore you don't get the luxury of having the "whole" Sprint network. Just bits and pieces.
  • Holy shit its an Android! Yep, even cheap bastards like me get to use this operating system. And it runs very smoothly! I actually like the setup better than the iphone. (it feels more like a phone than a media center)
Pros:
  • Its cheaper than paying $40 + a month for using the exact same plan as Sprint's version of the phone.
  • When you have service, it runs almost flawlessly! I have had very few problems with this phone. The only error I have encountered was a problem that was caused by one of the apps. Juice Defender (a power saving app) had changed my phones power usage, so whenever it was in sleep mode it lost signal... I'll spare you the profanities I shouted while troubleshooting...
  • Angry Birds!
  • I can add minutes to my plan anytime I want without having to pay extra per month. It costs 10 cents per minute if you go over your month's allowed minutes. (depending on which plan you choose)
  • NO CONTRACT! If you absolutely hate the phone, you can cancel without having to pay a disconnect fee. If you hate it that bad, they will even refund your purchase of the phone. As long as it is within 30 days of buying the phone.
  • 3.2 mega pixel camera. You can even download apps that turn off the "recording" or "clicking" sound when taking pictures/video. Thus allowing you to covertly spy on people without them knowing you are taking pictures. aka JAMES BOND SHIT!
  • The sound quality of phone conversations is pretty clear. The other person can also understand you pretty clearly. (beats the hell out of Verizon's sound quality)
Cons:
  • Outsourcing... You can't go 1 inch on their customer service line without talking to Achmed the dead terrorist... Even when making a purchase you have to deal with scripted jibberish.
  • Battery life is pretty low. However you can download apps that prolong the battery life.
  • The battery gets very hot when using apps.
  • Limited service coverage. (BE SURE TO CHECK THE SERVICE IN YOUR AREA BEFORE BUYING!!!)
    • I don't do a lot of traveling, the area I live in is completely covered by Virgin Mobile's service plan. However, if I travel further south (about 1 hour away) I will lose service completely. (I never stray too terribly far away from home, so this works out for me)
    • This is not a phone provider you want to use if you do a lot of traveling!
  • Terrorists!
  • Data coverage is spotty when driving. Even in areas where I get good coverage. This isn't a hugely horrible thing. It's not like I cant use the phone at all while driving. After-all, you shouldn't text and drive anyway! Bad things could happen, and you could orphan a horrible British child actor. As portrayed in this hilarious public service announcement.   
But for reals, its not funny... Actually I found the video hysterical!
Overall:
I am very pleased with the product! I didn't have to pay an arm and left testicle for service, and it does exactly what I need it to do. I use more data than I do minutes, and I never drive too far away from home or work; so this service works out perfectly for me! If I run over on my 300 minute limit, I can always "top-up" or add minutes to my phone without having to alter my current plan. Your plan's minutes reset every month, and if you have any extra time that you added on from going over on a previous month, then it will carry over. There is no commitment, so if you hate the service you can return the phone for a full refund and cancel your agreement. NO DISCONNECT CHARGE! And... HOLY SHIT IT'S AN AFFORDABLE ANDROID!

And if your thinking, "I'm not going to use Virgin Mobile, I don't want to affiliate myself in any way shape or form with poverty stricken individuals! Even if this plan has everything I need for a cheap price..." Well then you can go to hell with Osama...

Oooooh, too soon? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geek-Fu Online Store


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.